In comparison with other churches of the period, St George's is singularly lacking in ornament. This accords with James's belief that "the Beautys of Architecture may consist with the greatest plainness of the Structure". It follows Wren's ideal plan for Anglican churches, where visibility and audibility were supremely important, of a spacious nave with aisles, above which are carried galleries on three sides. The structure of the church has remained, but the furnishings have been much modified. Change began in 1871, when Benjamin Ferrey reduced the height of the box pews, removed the heavy canopy over the pulpit, and cut down the cumbersome "double-decker" reading desk to more modest dimensions.